Monday, January 5, 2015

MONDAY DIARY: ALMOST EXCRUSICATINGLY TRUE STORIES: IT'S ALL GREEK TO ME

Happy Epiphany!

As you can tell, I am back on the mend and almost caught up with all the work I was unable to do owing to being sick or because of holidays.  So today Adam's Ale is back up and running.  I hope you are back.
 
Christmas went well.  Sebastian was very happy.  You can see the result of his opening his presents below: 
One of my favorite presents was a copy of old movie entitled Jason and Argonauts.  Do you remember Super Host (those of you reading in the Cleveland area?)  He was a guy on channel 43 who dressed up in a sloppy version of Superman and hosted movies. 
 



Annually he would show the movie, "Jason and the Argonauts."  It was Saturday afternoon (I know, I should have been outside playing) and every year we would go to Mass on Saturday (I hated that) just as Jason started fighting the skeletons.



I never did see the end of the move.  What happened to the evil Acastus?  Did he beat the skeletons?  Did he return the golden fleece to home?  What happened between Jason and Medea?  That was to remain forever a mystery.

That is until one day when I was preaching and told the story about always having to leave home for church JUST as Jason started fighting the skeletons.  Some kindly parishioners made a gift of the movie at Christmas this year!  What a great thing that was!
So Fr. Kovacina and I sat down and watched the film the other night.  You know what.  I still don't know what happened to all of those characters.
There was only about three minutes of the movie that I hadn't seen! 

As the reviews point out, the movie never resolves itself.  It ends in the middle of the story.  What happens the characters is left up to your knowledge of Greek mythology.  If I could have accepted the idea the Jason most probably beat the skeleton army I would have, in fact, known the end of the movie since I was a little kid.
 
Turned out that going to Mass was the right thing to do.

3 comments:

snickers mom said...

You must be drawn to that Saturday mass now because you have been the celebrant of that mass 5 of the last 7 weeks. (oops You missed on since you were sick) But who is keeping track. Please come back to the Sunday masses.

Chris P. said...

Oh man. When I was a kid, SuperHost only hosted Three Stooges and Batman reruns, quality programming, but not "The Day the Earth Stood Still" or "Kronos" or anything.

Sometimes in the summer, the Prize Movie would have some bad 50's-60's B movies that I could really get into.

ck said...

When I was a kid my brother has a Blue Oyster Cult album with a skeleton on it that scared me to death:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Some_Enchanted_Evening_%28Blue_%C3%96yster_Cult_album%29

so I always dreaded when that movie would come on. I know, the effects were embarrassingly bad, but that army of skeletons scared the daylights out of me at the time.

Did you ever see Superhost doing news between commercials late at night back then? I was always confused that he did those reports without his red nose.