Monday, July 27, 2015

MONDAY DIARY: ALMOST EXCRUCIATINGLY TRUE STORIES: WHO NEEDS INCENSE WHEN YOU HAVE STRUDEL BAKING?

This past week I was dog sitting Louis Thomas Chamberlain.  Here he is standing next to Sebastian:
He belongs to the sister of a seminarian who was staying at a rectory that could not house a dog.  She was leaving on vacation and needed him to dog sit.  I have a rectory accustomed to dogs and am always in need of attention so things worked out.

It was also nice getting to know one of our seminarians a little better.
Okay . . . life just gets better and better.
So he showed me how to make croissants and I showed him how to make my Mom's apple strudel with some apples that one of our generous parishioners dropped off.

That reminded me of the time I made strudel at my first assignment.  The land on which that parish was built was once an apple farm.  There were a few apple trees left at the time and in the fall I would  harvest the apples and make a strudel.  

One day I made a strudel and put it in the oven and then went upstairs to get ready for Mass intending to take the strudel out of the oven before I went over to the church.  

I forgot.
So what do you do?  Stop Mass?  Say, "Sorry folks, I'll be back in a minute," or "Could someone do a favor?"  Being a theater person as well as a lover of the liturgy, those were not options for me.  Something else has to be done.

And the server was successful.  Mass went along smoothly, nobody was the wiser, we had strudel, and I have a good story.  God is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a floppy eared Great Dane?

Anonymous said...

Brilliant stuff!